Advance your career with an Online Master’s Degree in Crop Sciences. Our program focuses on relevant agricultural issues backed by the academic reputation of a world-class research institution.
How to Apply
Online Master’s Degree students apply through the Graduate College.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a 3.0 GPA for last two years of undergraduate study
- If you have less than a 3.0 GPA, we recommend applying for a Professional Development Certificate.
After successful completion, you can apply to the Online Master’s Degree Program.
- Complete 32 hours of coursework for academic credit, and maintain a B grade average or better
- Of the 32 hours, 12 hours of coursework must be at the 500 level
- Following the completion of your coursework, you must pass a comprehensive exam administered by faculty and the Online Programs Coordinator.
- Fulfill the list of core course requirements from the following list:
Online MS Program Core Courses
CPSC 594 – Professional Orientation CPSC (1 hr) *Required
CPSC 505 – Research Methods in Plant Sciences (4 hrs) *Required
Crops/Crop Production – Two Required
CPSC 412 – Principles of Crop Advising (3 hrs)
CPSC 415 – Bioenergy Crops (3 hrs)
CPSC 418 – Crop Growth and Management (3 hrs)
HORT 434 – Designing Urban Agriculture (2 hrs)
HORT 435 – Urban Food Production (3 hrs)
Genetics/Plant Breeding – One Required
CPSC 466 – Genomics for Plant Improvement (2 hrs)
CPSC 555 – Crop Germplasm Resources (2 hrs)
CPSC 563 – Chromosomes (3 hrs)
Plant Physiology/Biochemistry – One Required
CPSC 499 – Organic Chemistry for Plant Sciences (4 hrs)
CPSC 588 – Plant Biochemistry (4 hrs)
HORT 421 – Horticultural Physiology (4 hrs)
HORT 442 – Plant Nutrition (4 hrs)
Insects/Soils/Pathology – One Required
CPSC 473 – Management of Field Crop Insects (3 hrs)
CPSC 408 – Integrated Pest Management (3 hrs)
Environmental Aspects – One Required
CPSC 413 – Agriculture, Food and The Environment (2 hrs)
CPSC 416 – Native Plants and Agroecosystems (4 hrs)
HORT 430 – Children and Nature (2 hrs)
Statistics – Recommended
CPSC 440 – Applied Statistical Methods (4 hrs)
How to Register for an Online Course
Students in the Master’s Degree Program register through Illinois Online.
Estimated tuition and fees for the Online Master’s Degree Program depend on the number of courses and hours taken. Cost per credit hour is $664, which includes all fees.
Dr. A. Lane Rayburn
Online Programs Coordinator