- PhD. 1986. Plant Pathology. University of California, Davis
- MS. 19883. Plant Pathology. University of California, Davis
- BA. 1981. Botany. Humboldt State University
- Associate Professor, Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Current research is focused on the epidemiology of soilborne diseases and the biology of soilborne fungal plant pathogens, including the effects of biotic and abiotic environmental factors on disease development and the population biology of soilborne fungi. Research projects include the interaction of Fusarium virguliforme with soybean root systems, using cover crops to induce disease suppressive soils, and the effect of climate change factors on soybean disease development. Additional research efforts include the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) projects for evaluation of teaching methods in graduate and undergraduate plant pathology courses.
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Teaching
- NACTA Teacher Fellow
- Karl E. Gardner Outstanding Undergraduate Advisor
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements - Other
- ACES Faculty Achievement Award for Extension
Chapters in Books
- Eastburn, D. M. and D'Arcy, C. J. 2010. Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Projects in Plant Pathology. In Plant Pathology in the 21st Century: Contributions to the 9th International Congress. Volume 4, Knowledge and Technology Transfer for Plant Pathology. Editors: Nigel Hardwick and M.Lodovica Gullino. Springer.
- Eastburn, D. M., and Paul, V. H. 2002. Verticillium Section for Compendium of Diseases of Cruciferous Crops. APS Press.
- Eastburn, D. M. 1999. Diseases caused by fungi. Compendium of Corn Diseases, Third Edition. APS Press.
- Eastburn, D. M. 1997. Chapter on Puccinia sorghi, in Crop Protection Compendium - Module 1, a book on CD ROM, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, UK.
- Eastburn, D. M. 1996. Solarize soil. In 57 Ways to Protect Your Home Environment (And Yourself), Rick Weinzierl et al., editors. North Central Regional Extension Publication 583.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Marzano, et al. 2014. Organic amendment and transitional cropping system effects on crop diseases. Agronomy Journal. (in press)
- Marvelli, R.A., Hobbs, H.A., Li, S., McCoppin, N.K., Domier, L.L., Hartman, G.L., Eastburn, D.M., 2013. Identification of novel double-stranded RNA mycoviruses of Fusarium virguliforme and evidence of their effects on virulence. Arch. Virol.
- Eastburn, D. M., McElrone, A. J., and Bilgin, D. D. 2011. Influence of atmospheric and climatic change on plantâpathogen interactions. Plant Pathology 60:54â69
- Eastburn D. M., DeGennaro M. M., DeLucia E. H., Dermody O., McElrone A. J. 2010. Elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide and ozone alter soybean diseases at SoyFACE. Global Change Biology 16:320-30.
- D'Arcy, C. J., Eastburn, D. M., Bruce, B. C. 2009. How Media Ecologies Can Address Diverse Student Needs. College Teaching 57:546-63.
- D'Arcy, C. J., Eastburn, D. M., Mullally, K. 2007. Effective Use of a Personal Response System in a General Education Plant Pathology Class. The Plant Health Instructor. DOI: 10.1094/PHI-T-2007-0315-07.
- Bruce, B. C., Dowd, H., Eastburn, D. M., D'Arcy, C. J. 2005. Plants, Pathogens, and People: Extending the Classroom to the Web. Teachers College Record 107:1730-1753.
- Ortiz-Ribbing, L. M., and Eastburn, D. M. 2004. Soybean root systems and sudden death syndrome severity: Taproot and lateral root infection. Plant Dis. 88: 1011-1016.
- David, M., Swiader, J. Williams, K, Eastburn, D. 2003. Nitrogen nutrition, but not potassium, affects powdery mildew development in Hiemalis begonia. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 2003, 26:159-176.
- Alan Walters, Jeffrey D. Kindhart, Houston A. Hobbs, and Darin M. Eastburn. 2003. Viruses Associated with Cucurbit Production in Southern Illinois. HortScience 38:65-66.
- Ortiz-Ribbing, L. M., and Eastburn, D. M. 2003. Evaluation of digital image acquisition methods for determining soybean root characteristics. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2003-0702-01-RS.
- D'Arcy, C. J., Eastburn, D.M., Bruce, B.C. 2002. PPP: Plants, Pathogens, and People. A Web Site to Improve Student Awareness of Agriculture. The Plant Health Instructor. DOI: 10.1094/PHI-T-2002-0514-01.
- D'Arcy, C. J., D. M. Eastburn, and G. L. Schumann. 2001. Illustrated Glossary of Plant Pathology. The Plant Health Instructor. DOI:10.1094/PHI I 2001 0219 01
- Khan, A., N. Atibalentja, and D. M. Eastburn. 2000. Influence of inoculum density of Verticillium dahliae on root discoloration of horseradish. Plant Disease 84:309-315.
- Hobbs, H.A., Eastburn, D.M., D'Arcy, C.J., Kindhart, J.D., Masiunas, J.B., Voegtlin, D.J., Weinzierl, R.A., and McCoppin, N.K. 2000. Solanaceous weeds as possible virus sources in southern Illinois for aphid transmission of cucumber mosaic virus to pepper. Plant Disease 84:1221-1224.
- Dal Soglio, F., K., B. L. Bertagnolli, J. B. Sinclair, and D. M. Eastburn. 1998. Production of chitinolytic enzymes and endoglucanase in the soybean rhizosphere in the presence of Trichoderma harzianum and Rhizoctonia solani. Biological Control 12:111-117.
- Atibalentja, N., and D. M. Eastburn. 1998. Verticillium dahliae Resistance in Horseradish Germ Plasm from the University of Illinois Collection. Plant Disease 82:176-180.
- Atibalentja, N. and D. M. Eastburn. 1997. Evaluation of inoculation methods for screening horseradish cultivars for resistance to Verticillium dahliae. Plant Disease 81:356-362.
- Atibalentja, N., and D. M. Eastburn. 1997. Identification of sources of resistance to Verticillium dahliae from the University of Illinois horseradish germplasm collection. Plant Disease - in press.
- Masiunas, J. B., D. M. Eastburn, V. N. Mwaja, and C. E. Eastman. 1997. The impact of living and cover crop mulch systems on pests and yields of snap beans and cabbage. J. Sustainable Agriculture 9:61-89.
- Bottenberg, H., J. B. Masiunas, C. E. Eastman, and D. M. Eastburn. 1997. Yield and quality constraints of cabbage planted in rye mulch. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture 14:323-342.
- Bottenberg, H., J. Masiunas, C. Eastman, and D. M. Eastburn. 1997. Weed management effects on insects and diseases of cabbage and snapbean. HortTechnology 7:400-403.
- Bottenberg, H., J. B. Masiunas, C. E. Eastman, and D. M. Eastburn. 1997. The impact of rye cover crops on weeds, insects, and diseases in snap bean cropping systems. J. Sustainable Agriculture 9:131-155.
- Eastburn, D. M. and R.J. Chang. 1994. Verticillium dahliae: A causal agent of root discoloration of horseradish in Illinois. Plant Disease 78:496-498.
- Chang, R. J. and D. M. Eastburn. 1994. Host range and pathogenicity of isolates of Verticillium dahliae from horseradish. Plant Disease 78:503-506.
- Pataky, J. K. and D. M. Eastburn. 1993. Comparing partial resistance to Puccinia sorghi and applications of fungicides for controlling common rust on sweet corn. Phytopathology 83:1046-1051.
- Pataky, J. K. and D. M. Eastburn. 1993. The use of disease nurseries and yield loss studies to determine levels of resistance necessary to manage diseases of sweet corn. Plant Disease 77:760-765.
- Eastburn, D. M. and W. D. Gubler. 1992. Effects of soil moisture and temperature on the survival of Colletotrichum acutatum. Plant Disease 76:841-842
- Eastburn, D. M. 1991. The first report of septoria fruit and leaf spot, caused by Septoria cucurbitacearum, on Cucurbita moschata in Illinois. Plant Disease 75:1286.
- Eastburn, D. M. and E. E. Butler. 1991. Effects of soil moisture and temperature the saprophytic ability of Trichoderma harzianum. Mycologia 83:257-263.
- Eastburn, D. M. and W. D. Gubler. 1990. Strawberry anthracnose: detection and survival of Colletotrichum acutatum in soil. Plant Disease 74:161-163.
- Video Presentation: Eastburn, D. M. 2008. American Phytopathological Society, Centennial Oral History Project. Distributed by APS Press.
- Video Presentation: Eastburn, D. M., L. A. McKee, and C. J. D'Arcy. 2000. Dutch elm disease and the American elm. APS Press.
- Video Presentation: Eastburn, D. M. and CJ D'Arcy. 1996. Late blight and the Irish potato famine. APS Press.