- B.S.: Agricultural Science, University of Illinois — 1992
- M.S.: Agronomy (emphasis on weed resistance to herbicides), University of Illinois — 1995
- Ph.D.: Agronomy (emphasis on degradation of herbicides in soil), University of Illinois — 2000
- MLA: Landscape Architecture (emphasis on ecological design and analysis of agricultural landscapes), University of Illinois — 2005
- Field Research Biologist, Midwest Field Station, Zeneca Agricultural Products (1995 - 1997)
- Senior Research Biologist, Midwest Field Research & Development, Dow AgroSciences (2000 - 2003)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL (2003 - 2006)
- Assistant Professor, Department of PLant and Soil Science, University of Vermont (2006 - 2009)
- Assistant Professor, Sustainable Landscape Design, Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois (2009 - 2015)
- Associate Professor, Landscape Agroecology, Department of Crop Sciences University of Illinois (2015-present)
- Sustainable Landscapes
- Urban Agriculture
Chapters in Books
- Lovell, S.T., 2012. Buffers. In: Encyclopedia of Sustainability, V5: Ecosystem Management & Sustainability. Editors: Craig, R.K., Nagle, J.C., Pardy, B., Schmitz, O., Smith, W. Berkshire Publishing: Barrington, MA. February 2012.
- Lovell, S.T., 2012. Agroecology. In: Encyclopedia of Sustainability, V5: Ecosystem Management & Sustainability. Editors: Craig, R.K., Nagle, J.C., Pardy, B., Schmitz, O., Smith, W. Berkshire Publishing: Barrington, MA. February 2012.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Wax, L.M., Simpson, D.M., and McGlamery, M. 1996. Using the in vivo ALS assay for identifying herbicide-resistant weeds. Weed Technology 10:936-942.
- Lovell, S.T., Wax, L.M., Horak, M.J., and Peterson, D.E. 1996. Imidazolinone and sulfonylurea resistance in a biotype of common waterhemp (Amaranthus rudis). Weed Science 44:789-794.
- Taylor-Lovell, S., Sims, G.K., Wax, L.M., and Hassett, J.J. 2000. Hydrolysis and soil adsorption of the labile herbicide isoxaflutole. Environmental Science and Technology 34:3186-3190.
- Taylor-Lovell, S., Wax, L.M., and Nelson, R.Â 2001. Phytotoxic response and yield of soybean (Glycine max) varieties treated with sulfentrazone or flumioxazin.Â Weed Technology 15:95-102.
- Sullivan, W.C., Anderson, O.M., and Lovell, S. Taylor, 2004.Â Agricultural buffers at the rural-urban fringe: an examination of approval by farmers, residents, and academics in the Midwestern United States.Â Landscape and Urban Planning 69:299-313.
- Lovell, S. Taylor, 2005.Â University of Illinois Field Research Station - Master Plan.Â University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Sullivan, W.C. 2006. Environmental benefits of conservation buffers in the United States: Evidence, promise, and open questions. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 112(4):249-260.
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Johnston, D.M. Creating multifunctional landscapes - How can the field of ecology inform the design of the landscape? Frontiers in Ecology and the EnvironmentÂ 7(4):212-220.
- Sims, G.K., Lovell, S. Taylor, Tarr, G. and Maskel, S. 2009.Â Role of sorption and degradation in the herbicidal function of isoxaflutole. Pest Management ScienceÂ
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Johnston, D.M. 2009. Designing landscapes for performance based on emerging principles in landscape ecology. Ecology and Society.Â
- Lovell, S.T., DeSantis, S., Nathan, C.A., Olson, M.B., Mendez, V.E., Kominami, H.C., Erickson, D.L., Morris, K.S., Morris, W.B. 2010. Integrating agroecology and landscape multifunctionality in Vermont: An evolving framework to evaluate the design of agroecosystems. Agricultural Systems 103: 327-341.
- Lovell, S.T., Mendez, V.E., DeSantis, S., Erickson, E., Nathan, C. 2010. Extent, pattern, and multifunctionality of treed habitats on farms in Vermont, USA. Agroforestry Systems 80(2):153-171.
- Lovell, S.T. 2010. Multifunctional urban agriculture for sustainable land use planning. Invited submission for Sustainability 2(8):2499-2522.
- Erickson, D.L., Lovell, S.T., Mendez, V.E. 2011. Landowner willingness to embed production agriculture and other land use options in residential areas of Chittenden County, Vermont, USA. Landscape & Urban Planning 103(2):174-184.
- Kominami, H., Lovell, S.T. 2012. An adaptive management approach to improve water quality at a model dairy farm in Vermont, USA. Ecological Engineering 40:131-143.
- Taylor, J.R., Lovell, S.T. 2012. Mapping public and private spaces of urban agriculture in Chicago through the analysis of high-resolution aerial images in Google Earth. Landscape and Urban Planning. Accepted for publication.
- Neher, D.A., Asmussen, D., Lovell, S.T. 2013. Roads in northern hardwood forests affect adjacent plant communities and soil chemistry in proportion to the maintained roadside area. Science of the Total Environment, 449:320-327.
- Koeser, A., Lovell, S.T., Stewart, R., Evans, M. 2013. Biocontainer water use in short-term greenhouse crop production. HortTechnology: 23:220-226.
- Erickson, D.E., Lovell, S.T., Mendez, V.E. 2013. Identifying, quantifying, and classifying agricultural opportunities for land use planning. Landscape and Urban Planning 118:29-39.
- Morris, K.S., Mendez, V.E., Lovell, S.T., Olson, M. 2013. Conventional food plot management in an organic coffee cooperative: Explaining the paradox. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems 37(7):762-787.
- Wortman, S.E., Lovell, S.T. 2013. Environmental challenges threatening the growth of urban agriculture in the United States. Journal of Environmental Quality 42(5):1283-1294.
- Lovell, S.T., Taylor, J.R. 2013. Supplying urban ecosystem services through multifunctional green infrastructure. Landscape Ecology 28(8):1447-1463.
- Ferguson, R.S., Lovell, S.T. 2014. Understanding permaculture: Design, movement, practice, worldview. Agronomy for Sustainable Development. In press.
- Taylor, J.R., Lovell, S.T. 2014. Urban home food gardens in the Global North: Research traditions and future directions. Agriculture and Human Values. In press.
- Bennett, A.B. and Lovell, S.T. 2014. A comparison of arthropod abundance and arthropod mediated predation services in urban green spaces. Insect Conservation and Diversity. In press.
- Koeser, A., Lovell, S.T. Petri, A.C., Brumfield, R.G., Stewart, J.R. 2014. Biocontainer use in a Petunia x hybrida greenhouse production system a cradle-to-gate carbon footprint assessment of secondary impacts. Accepted for publication in HortScience.
- Morse, C.E., Strong, A., Mendez, V.E., Lovell, S.T., Troy, A., Morris, W.B., 2014. Performing a New England landscape: Viewing, engaging, and belonging. Journal of Rural Studies 36:226-236.
- Taylor, J.R. and Lovell, S.T., 2015. Urban home gardens in the Global North: A mixed methods study of ethnic and migrant home gardens in Chicago, IL. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 30(1):22-32.
- Evans, M.R., Koeser, A., Bi, G., Nambuthiri, S., Geneve, R., Jacobsen, K., Lovell, S.T., Stewart, J.R., 2015. Impact of biocontainers with and without shuttle trays on water use in the production of a containerized ornamental greenhouse crop. HortTechnology 25(1):35-41.
- Sun, Y., Niu, G., Koeser, A.K., Bi, G., Anderson, V., Jacobsen, K., Conneway, R., Verlinden, S., Stewart, R., Lovell, S.T., 2015. Impact of biocontainers on plant performance and container decomposition in the landscape. HortTechnology 25(1):63-70.
- Ferguson., R.S. and Lovell, S.T., 2015. Grassroots engagement with transitions to sustainability: diversity and modes of participation in the international permaculture movement. Ecology and Society 20(4):39.