- Crop Management and Environmental Systems
- B.S.: Agronomy, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Argentina — 1995
- M.S.: Agronomy, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Argentina — 2000
- M.S.: Agricultural Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign — 2007
- Ph.D.: Crop Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign — 2005
- Assistant Professor Agronomy & Soils. University of Illinois. Department of Crop Sciences. 09/09/09 to 08/15/2016.
- Associate Professor Agronomy & Soils. 08/15/2016 - current
- Sustainable Cropping Systems - Agroecology
- Soil Quality and Genomics
- Biometry - Statistics
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements
- Fulbright Fellow
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Teaching
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Summer 2012. CPSC 569.
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Summer 2013. CPSC 569.
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Summer 2014. CPSC 569.
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Summer 2016. CPSC 569.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Villamil MB, NM Amiotti, and N. Peinemann. 2001. Soil Degradation Related to Overgrazing in the Semi-Arid Southern Caldenal Area of Argentina. Soil Sci. 166: 441-452.
- Martínez RS, P Zalba, MB Villamil, and N. Peinemann. 2002. Organic Matter Mobilization as Affected by Soil-Solution Composition and Prevailing Clay Minerals. Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 33: 2291-2299.
- Villamil MB, GA Bollero, RG Darmody, FW Simmons, and DG Bullock. 2006. No-Till Corn/Soybean Systems Including Winter Cover Crops: Effects on Soil Properties. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 70: 1936-1944.
- Villamil MB, A Heinze-Silvis, and GA Bollero. 2008. Potential Miscanthus’ Adoption in Illinois: Information Needs and Preferred Information Channels. Biomass Bioenerg. 32:1338-1348.
- Miguez FE, MB Villamil, GA Bollero, and SP Long. 2008. Meta-Analysis of Management Factors Effects on Miscanthus × giganteus Growth and Productivity. Agr. Forest Meteorol. 148: 1280-1292.
- Villamil MB, FE Miguez, and GA Bollero. 2008. Multivariate Analysis and Visualization of Soil Quality Data for No-Till Systems. J. Environ. Qual. 37:1-7.
- Villamil MB, NM Amiotti, and N Peinemann. 2011. Segregation of patches by patterns of soil attributes in native grassland in central Argentina. Phyton 80. 193-201.
- Lee CH, Kim SY, MB Villamil, P Pramanik, CO Hongand, and PJ Kim. 2011. Different response of silicate fertilizer having electron acceptors on methane emission in rice paddy soil under green manuring. Biol. Fert. Soils. (26 November 2011), pp. 1-8. DOI:10.1007/s00374-011-0637-2.
- Amiotti NM, MB Villamil, and RG Darmody. 2012. Agronomic and taxonomic consequences of agricultural use of marginal soils in Argentina. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 76: 2, 558-568.
- Villamil MB, V Davis, and ED Nafziger. 2012. Estimating factor contributions to soybean yield from farm field data. Agron. J. 104:881-887. DOI:10.2134/agronj2012.0018n.
- Villamil MB, M Alexander, A Heinze-Silvis, and M Gray. 2012. Producer perceptions and information needs regarding their adoption of bioenergy crops. Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev.16: 3604-3612. DOI:10.1016/j.rser.2012.03.033.
- Marzano SL, D Eastburn, M Wander, C Ugarte, E Zaborski, and MB Villamil. 2014. Transitional cropping systems and organic amendment effects on crop diseases. Agron. J. 106:519-527. doi:10.2134/agronj2013.0189.
- Acuña JCM, and MB Villamil. 2014. Short term effects of cover crops and compaction on soil properties and soybean production in Illinois. Agron. J. 106:860-870. doi:10.2134/agronj13.0370.
- Suarez Tapia A, MB Villamil, and L Grabau. 2014. Evaluation of N sources, cover crops, and tillage systems for corn grown under organic management. Phyton 83:71-81.
- Kladivko EJ, MJ Helmers, LJ Abendroth, D Herzmann, R Lal, MJ Castellano, DS Mueller, JE Sawyer, RP Anex, RW Arritt, B Basso, JV Bonta, LC Bowling, RM Cruse, NR Fausey, JR Frankenberger, PW Gassman, AJ Gassmann, CL Kling, A Kravchenko, JG Lauer, FE Miguez, ED Nafziger, N Nkongolo, M O'Neal, LB Owens, PR Owens, P Scharf, MJ Shipitalo, JS Strock, and MB Villamil. 2014. Standardized research protocols enable transdisciplinary research of climate variation impacts in corn production systems. J Soil Water Conserv 69:532-542. doi:10.2489/jswc.69.6.532.
- Necpálová M, RP Anex, AN Kravchenko, LJ Abendroth, SJ Del Grosso, WA Dick, MJ Helmers, D Herzmann, JG Lauer, ED Nafziger, JE Sawyer, PC Scharf, JS Strock, and MB Villamil. 2014. What does it take to detect a change in soil carbon stock? A regional comparison of minimum detectable difference and experiment duration in the north central United States. J Soil Water Conserv 69:517-531. doi:10.2489/jswc.69.6.517.
- Marzano SL, D Eastburn, M Wander, C Ugarte, and MB Villamil. 2015. Organic transition effects on soilborne diseases of soybean and populations of Pseudomonadaceae. Agron. J. 107: 1087-1097.
- Davis VM, NE Mellendorf, MB Villamil, ED Nafziger. 2015. Initial plant size affects response to thinning in soybean. Agron. J. 107:158-166. doi:10.2134/agronj13.0599.
- Zuber SM, GD Behnke, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2015. Crop rotation and tillage effects on soil physical and chemical properties in Illinois. Agron. J. 107: 1-8. doi:10.2134/agronj14.0465.
- Fernandez F, B Sorensen and MB Villamil. 2015. A comparison of soil properties in long-term no-till and strip-till systems. Agron. J. 107: 1339-1346.
- Villamil MB, and ED Nafziger. 2015. Corn residue, tillage, and nitrogen rate effects on soil carbon and nutrient stocks in Illinois. Geoderma 253-254, 61-66.
- Villamil MB, J Little, ED Nafziger. 2015. Corn residue, tillage, and nitrogen rate effects on soil properties. Soil Till. Res. 151: 61-66.
- Nafziger ED, MB Villamil, F. Iutzi, J Niekamp, and V. Davis. 2016. Bioenergy yields of several cropping systems in the U.S. Corn Belt. Agron. J. 108: 559-565.
- Welch RY, GB Behnke, AS Davis, J Masiunas and MB Villamil. 2016. Using cover crops in headlands of organic grain farms: Effects on soil properties, weeds and crop yields. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 216:322-332.
- Zuber SM, and MB Villamil. 2016. Meta-analysis approach to assess effect of tillage on microbial biomass and enzyme activities. Soil Biol. Biochem. 97: 176-187.
- Yeater K, and MB Villamil. 2016. Multivariate analyses in agronomy. Chapter 18. Applied Statistics in Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Sciences. ASA, CSSA and SSSA Publisher. Madison, WI. In Press.