Dr. Kling evaluates woody plant species for bioenergy production as a low-emissions alternative to fossil fuels. His current focus is the improvement of black locust germplasm for bioenergy production in a short rotation cropping system.
- A.S.: University of Wisconsin, Washington Co. — 1973
- B.S.: Horticulture, University of Wisconsin, Madison — 1975
- M.S.: Horticulture, University of Wisconsin, Madison — 1976
- Ph.D.: Horticulture, University of Illinois — 1981
- Groundskeeper, Hartford Country Club, Hartford, Wisconsin (1969 - 1973)
- Groundskeeper, Nakoma Golf Club, Madison, Wisconsin (1974 - 1976)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Wisconsin (1975 - 1976)
- Extension Intern, Dane County, WI, University of Wisconsin (1976 - 1976)
- Extension Associate in Horticulture, Iowa State University (1876 - 1977)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant/Instructor, University of Illinois (1978 - 1979)
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Illinois (1979 - 1981)
- Assistant Professor of Horticulture, University of Illinois (1981 - 1987)
- Associate Professor of Horticulture, University of Illinois (1987 - present)
- Effect of planting depth on tree performance in the landscape
- Development and Educational Testing of Computer Aided Instruction for Woody Landscape Plants
- Evaluation of Woody Landscape Plant Germplasm, NC-7
- Landscape Leaf Waste Pellets as Carriers for Preemergence Herbicides
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements
- Outstanding Botany Student Award, University of Wisconsin Washington Co. - 1973
- Hartford Rotary Club Scholarship, Hartford, Wisconsin - 1991-1992
- Golf Course Superintendents Assoc. of America Scholarship, 1974-1975
- Henry Steenbock Fellowship, University of Wisconsin - 1974-1975
- Graduated Magna cum Laude, University of Wisconsin - 1975
- Wright Fellowship in Horticulture, University of Illinois - 1977-1978
- Excellence in Teaching, University of Illinois, 22 semesters - 1977-1996
- Ernest Tosovski Award, Horticulture Research Institute - 1983
- Young Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Univ. of Illinois, College of Ag. - 1991
- Award for Excellence in Extramural Teaching, University of Illinois - 1993-1994
- College of Agriculture Academy of Teaching Excellence, University of Illinois - 1993-1996
- Cross-commodity Publication Award, American Society for Horticultural Science - 1995
- Education Publication Award, American Society for Horticultural Science - 1996
- Karl E. Gardner Outstanding Undergraduate Adviser Award in ACES - 1998
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, Univ. of Illinois, College of ACES - 2003
- Campus Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Univ. of Illinois - 2005
- NACTA Teacher Fellow - North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture - 2005
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- This Old House Complete Landscaping, 192 pages, This Old House Publishing, 2003
- Complete Guide to Trees and Shrubs, Ortho Books, 224 pages, Meredith Publishing, 2003
Selected Articles in Journals
- Kling, G.J. 1977. Harvesting and storing vegetables. Iowa State University Extension Fact Sheet, Yard and Garden Series. Pm-719.
- Kling, G.J. 1977. Rhubarb in the home garden. Iowa State University Extension Fact Sheet, Yard and Garden Series. Pm-731.
- Kling, G.J. 1985. Birch selection and use. Growing Trends, Illinois State Nurserymen's Association, No. 287:11-15.
- Kling, G.J., L.M. Perkins and R. Nobles. 1985. Rooting Betula platyphylla var. szechuanica (Rehd.) cuttings. The Plant Propagator 31(1):9-10.
- Kling, G.J. and K. McPheeters. 1987. Nursery/Landscape plant identification. University of Illinois Vocational Agriculture Service. X664. 116pp.
- Kling, G.J. and K. McPheeters. 1994. Landscape Trees and Shrubs (Stems and Buds) Photo-CD. University of Illinois Vocational Agriculture Service PCD116
- Kling, G.J. and K. McPheeters. 1994. Landscape Trees and Shrubs (Leaves and Flowers) Photo-CD. University of Illinois Vocational Agriculture Service PCD115.
- McPheeters, K. and G. Kling. 1995. Deciduous shrubs practice set. University of Illinois Vocational Agriculture Service. DS604qz (interactive digital slide set).
- McPheeters, K. and G. Kling. 1995. Deciduous shrubs. University of Illinois Vocational Agriculture Service. DS604 (interactive digital slide set).
- Thomas J. Burrill's forest Tree Plantation: Today's Illini Grove. 2002. C.J.D'Arcy, J.O. Dawson and G. J. Kling. The Illinois Steward 11(1):7-10.
- Kling, Gary J. 2005. How drought impacts trees and shrubs. On Course 59(7):13-16.
- Kling, G.J., C. P. Lindsey, L.L. Hayden and M.E. Zampardo. 2002-2006. UIPLANTS Website. University of Illinois, http://wp.nres.uiuc.edu/ Images and descriptions of 168 genera, 484 species and 450 cultivated varieties.
- Selected Miscellaneous Publications
- Naeve, L., H.G. Taber and G.J. Kling. 1979. The student intern to assist Iowa county extension staff. HortScience 14:697-699.
- Kling, G.J. and M.M. Meyer, Jr. 1983. Effects of phenolic compounds and indoleacetic acid on adventitious root initiation in cuttings of Phaseolus aureus, Acer saccharinum and Acer griseum. 1983. HortScience 18:352-354.
- Kling, G.J. 1984. Root regeneration techniques. Combined Proceedings of the International Plant Propagators' Society. 34:618-627.
- Cappiello, P.E. and G. J. Kling. 1987. Increasing root regeneration and shoot growth in two oak species with spray applications of indolebutyric acid. HortScience 22:663.
- Kling, G.J., L.M. Perkins, P.E. Cappiello and B.A. Eisenberg. 1987. Improved method for the determination of indole-3-acetic acid in plant tissue. J. Chromatogr. 377-383.
- Perkins, L.M, and G. J. Kling. 1987. Root regeneration in Magnolia x soulangiana and Magnolia x 'Betty' in response to auxin applications. HortScience 22:889-891.
- Kling, G.J., M.M. Meyer, Jr., and D. Seigler. 1988. Rooting cofactors in five Acer species. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 113:252-257.
- Cappiello, P.E. and G. J. Kling. 1990. Determination of zeatin and zeatin riboside in plant tissue by solid-phase extraction and ion-exchange chromatography. J. Chromatogr. 504:197-201.
- Cappiello, P.E. and G. J. Kling. 1994. Changes in growth regulator and carbohydrate levels in roots and shoot tips of Cornus sericea during cold storage and emergence from dormancy. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 119(4):785-788.
- Kling, G.J., C.P. Lindsey and M.E. Zampardo. 1996. UIPLANTS: A software program for the landscape industry and horticultural education. HortTechnology 6(4):337-343.
- A.W. Kahtz and G. J. Kling. 1999. Field-dependent and field-independent conceptualizations of various instructional methods with an emphasis on CAI: a qualitative analysis. Ed. Psychol. 19(4):413-428.
- A.W. Kahtz (and G. J. Kling). 2001. Can computer-assisted instruction be used by students for woody plant identification? HortTechnology 10(2):381-384.
- Samtani, J., G.J. Kling and D.J. Williams. 2006. Leaf-waste Pellets as an Herbicide Carrier for Container-grown Landscape Plants. Weed Technology, In Press.
- Journal Articles