- B.S. Agricultural Science, University of Illinois, 1987
- M.S. Crop Physiology, University of Illinois, 1990
- 1990-1995 Research Specialist in Agriculture, Dept. of Agronomy, UIUC
- 1995-1996 Research Specialist in Agriculture, Dept. of Crop Sciences, UIUC
- 1996-2018 Senior Research Specialist in Agric., Dept. Crop Sciences, UIUC
- 2018-present Principal Research Specialist in Agric., Dept. Crop Sciences, UIUC
- Nitrogen Use Efficiency (NUE)
- Maize in vitro kernel culture
- Maize kernel development and growth
- Source- sink partitioning
- Whole- plant physiology
- Role of roots in nitrogen uptake
- Soybean yield and physiology
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements
- Jonathan Baldwin Turner Scholar, 1984
- Academic Professional Award for Innovation and Creativity, 1997, Dept. of Crop Sciences, UIUC.
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Research
- Academic Professional Staff Award for Sustained Excellence in Research
Chapters in Books
- Below FE, Cazetta JO, Seebauer JR. 2000. Carbon/nitrogen interactions during ear and kernel development of maize. In M. Westgate and K. Boote (eds.) Physiology and modeling kernel set in maize. CSSA Special publication no. 29. CSSA-ASA. Madison, WI. p. 15-24.
- Below, FE, Seebauer JR, Uribelarrea M, Schneerman MC, Moose SP. 2004. Physiological changes accompanying long-term selection for grain protein in maize. In: J. Janick (ed). Plant Breeding Reviews: Long-term selection: Maize. Vol. 24. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ. p. 133-151.
- Seebauer, JR, and FE Below. 2018. Use of in vitro kernel culture to study maize nitrogen and carbohydrate metabolism. In: M. Lagrimini, editor, Maize: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol. 1676. Springer Nature, New York, NY. p.3-13.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Wyss, CS, Czyzewicz JR, Below FE. 1991. Source- Sink control of grain composition in maize strains divergently selected for protein concentration. Crop Sci 31:761-766.
- Czyzewicz, JR, Below FE. 1994. Genotypic variation for nitrogen uptake by maize kernels grown in vitro. Crop Sci. 34:1003-1008.
- Faleiros, RRS, Seebauer JR, Below FE. 1996. Nutritionally induced changes in endosperm of shrunken-1 and britle-2 maize kernels grown in-vitro. Crop Sci 36:947-954
- Cazetta, JO, Seebauer JR, Below FE. 1999. Sucrose and nitrogen supplies regulate growth of maize kernels. Annuals of Botany 84:747-754.
- Lee, HJ, Seebauer JR, Below FE. 2000. An improved technique for culture of rice panicles. Plant, Cell Tiss Org Cult. 60:55-60.
- Seebauer, JR, Moose SP, Fabbri BJ, Crossland LD, Below FE. 2004. Amino acid metabolism in maize earshoots. Implications for assimilate preconditioning and nitrogen signaling. Plant Physiol 136: 4326-4334.
- Seebauer JR, Singletary GW, Krumpelman P M, et al. 2010. Relationship of source and sink in determining kernel composition of maize. J Exp Bot 61:511-519
- Ruffo, ML, LF Gentry, AS Henninger, JR Seebauer, FE Below. 2015. Evaluating management factor contributions to reduce corn yield gaps. Agron. J. 107:495-505. doi:10.2134/agronj14.0355
- Below, F, T Beyrer, A Mastrodomenico, J Seebauer. 2017. Efficient management of water and nutrients. Fluid J 95:7-11.
- Mastrodomenico, AT, JW Haegele, JR Seebauer, FE Below. 2018. Yield stability differs in commercial maize hybrids in response to changes in plant density, nitrogen fertility, and environment. Crop Sci. 58:230-241.