Dr. Bohn breeds corn lines that contribute to economically efficient and sustainable, high-yielding production. He studies the genetic basis of biotic and abiotic stress responses, root development, and grain processing characteristics of corn using innovative, high-throughput phenotyping tools and genomic information.
- Postdoc, The Institute for Plant Breeding, Seed Science, and Population Genetics, University of Hohenheim, Germany (1997 - 1999)
- Assistant Professor ('Habilitant'), The Institute for Plant Breeding, Seed Science, and Population Genetics, University of Hohenheim, Germany (1999 - 2002)
- Assistant Professor, Maize Breeding and Genetics, University of Illinois. (2002 - 2008)
- Associate Professor, Maize Breeding and Genetics, University of Illinois (2008 - present)
- Breeding Corn Cultivars for Organic Farming Systems
- Root development and architecture and their relationship to the performance of maize (Zea mays L.) under biotic and abiotic stresses.
- Plant-Insect Interactions
- Grain Processing and Nutritional Quality in Maize
- High-Throughput Phenotyping Technology in Maize for Genetics and Breeding
Selected Articles in Journals
- Bohn MO, Marroquin JJ, Flint-Garcia S., Dashiell K, Wilmot D, Hibbard BE. 2017. QTL mapping of Western Corn Rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) host plant resistance in two populations of double haploid lines in maize (Zea mays L.). Journal of Economic Entomology.
- Butts-Wilmsmeyer CJ, Mumm RH, Bohn, MO. 2017. Concentration of beneficial phytochemicals in harvested grain of U.S. yellow dent maize (Mea mays L.) germplasm. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 65(38):8311-8318.
- Mahmoud M, Sharp R, Oliver M, Finke D, Bohn M, Ellersieck M, Hibbard B. 2017. Effects of Western Corn Rootworm and maize hybrids with and without drought-and rootworm-tolerance in well-watered and small-scale field plots. Journal of Economic Entomology. Accepted.
- Gage J, Diego Jarquin, Maria Romay, Aaron Lorenz, Edward Buckler, Shawn Kaeppler, Naser Alkhalifah, Martin Bohn, Darwin Campbell, Jode Edwards, David Ertl, Sherry Flint-Garcia, Jack Gardiner, Byron Good, Candice Hirsch, James Holland, David Hooker, Joseph Knoll, Judith Kolkman, Greg Kruger, Nick Lauter, Carolyn Lawrence-Dill, Elizabeth Lee, Jonathan Lynch, Seth Murray, Rebecca Nelson, Jane Petzoldt, Torbert Rocheford, James Schnable, Patrick Schnable, Brian Scully, Margaret Smith, Nathan Springer, Srikant Srinivasan, Renee Walton, Teclemariam Weldekidan, Randall Wisser, Wenwei Xu, Jianming Yu, and Natalia de Leon. 2017. The effect of artificial selection on phenotypic plasticity in maize. Nature Communications 8:1348, doi: 10.1038/s41467-017-01450-2.
- Grift TE, Zhao W, Momin MA, Zhang Y, Bohn MO. 2017. Semi-automated, machine vision based maize kernel counting on the ear. Biosystems Engineering. 164:171-180
- Butts CJ, and Bohn, MO. 2016. High-throughput extraction of insoluble-bound ferulic acid in maize (Zea mays spp. Mays L.). Crop Sci. 56:3152-3159.
- Macke JA, Bohn M, Rausch KD, Mumm RH. 2016. Genetic factors underlying dry milling efficiency and grit yield examined in U.S. maize (Zea mays spp. mays L.). Crop Sci. 56:2516-2526.
- Kadam DC, Potts SM, Bohn MO, Lipka AE, Lorenz AJ. 2016. Genomic prediction of single crosses in the early stages of a maize hybrid breeding pipeline. G3 6: 3443-3453.
- Hauck AL, Novais J, Grift TE, Bohn M.O. 2015. Characterization of maize (Zea mays L.) root system architecture and complexity in a diverse set of ex-PVP inbreds and hybrids. SpringerPlus 4:424, doi: 10.1186/s40064-015-1187-0.
- Demarta, L., Hibbard, B. E., Bohn, M. O., & Hiltpold, I. 2014. The role of root architecture in foraging behavior of entomopathogenic nematodes. Journal of invertebrate pathology, 122, 32-39.
- Hauck AL, Johnson GR, Mikel MM, Mahone GS, Morales JA, Rocheford TR, Bohn M. 2014. Generation Means Analysis of Elite Ex-PVP Commercial Inbreds: A New Public Maize Genetics Resource. Crop Sci. 54:174189.
- Siddappaji MH, Scholes DR, Bohn M, Paige KN. 2013. Overcompensation in response to herbivory in Arabidopsis thaliana: the role of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and the oxidative pentose-phosphate pathway. Genetics 195: 589-598.
- Grift TE, Novais J, Bohn M. 2011. High-throughput phenotyping technology for maize roots. Biosystems Engineering 110: 40-48.
- Dexing Z, Novais J,Grift TE, Bohn M, Han J. 2009. Root complexity analysis using a Support Vector Machine method. Comput. Electron. Agr. 69: 46-50.
- Ivezic M, Raspudic, Brmez, Majic, Brkic, Tollefson J, Bohn MO, Hibbard B, Simic D. 2009. A review on resistance breeding options targeting western corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) in Europe. Agricultural and Forest Entomology 11:307-311.
- Jacobs T, Sano C, Paige K, Bohn M. 2009. Natural variation in the inflorescence replacement program of Arabidopsis thaliana. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 119:1461-1476.
- Gray M, Sappinton T, Miller N, Moeser J, Bohn M. 2009. Adaptation and Invasiveness of Western Corn Rootworm: Intensifying Research on a Worsening Pest. Annual Rev. Entomol. 54:303-322.
- EL Khishen AA, Bohn MO, Prischmann-Voldseth DA, Dashiell KE, French BW, Hibbard BE. 2009. Native resistance to western corn rootworm (Coleoptera:Chrysomelidae)
- Flint-Garcia A, Dashiell KE, Prischmann D, Bohn M, Hibbard B. 2009. Conventional screening overlooks resistance sources: Rootworm damage of diverse inbred lines and their B73 hybrids is unrelated. J Econ. Entomol.102:1317-1324.