- B.S. Ecology and Organismal Biology (EEOB) Plant Science Emphasis 2004. The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Ph.D. Plant Pathology. 2009. The Ohio State University
- Postdoctoral Researcher. Plant Microbe Interactions. Indiana University. 2009-2010
- Postdoctoral Researcher. Vegetable Pathology. Purdue University. 2010-2012
- Extension Field Crop Plant Pathologist. University of Delaware. May 2013- October 2017.
- Focal areas of study: Plant pathology, crop protection, disease management, disease identification, mycology, microbial ecology
- The main goal of my research and extension program is to develop independent, unbiased, science-based answers to plant diseases impacting soybean, corn, and small grain production. To accomplish this goal, my lab focuses on applied, practical research that addresses disease issues and management needs as defined by producers and the agronomic community in Illinois and the surrounding region. Furthermore, we work to identify and address more basic issues of disease control that may not yet be realized in the region, and develop proactive strategies to mitigate these issues before they impact producer productivity and profitability. I work closely with other researchers at the University of Illinois and other universities to accomplish these goals. Results of my work are actively shared with the agronomic as well as research communities.
- Current general project areas include: 1) understanding the biology and ecology of tar spot in corn, 2) assessing the impact and management of nematodes in corn, 3) invasive weeds as mechanisms for disease movement and transmission, 4) improving Fusarium head blight management in wheat, 5) long-term impacts of crop pest management tactics on soil health, 6) evaluation of cultural, chemical, and biological disease control strategies as components of integrated disease management for corn, soybean, and small grains
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements
- Leslie-Allen Fellowship in Ecology and Field Biology. The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Excellence in Scholarship Award. The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Outstanding Biology Major. The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- C.S. Allison Award for Outstanding Graduate Research and Teaching in Plant Pathology. The Ohio State University
Selected Articles in Journals
- Opoku, J., N. M. Kleczewski, K. Hamby, D. A. Herbert, S. Malone, and H. Mehl. 2019. Relationship between invasive brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) and fumonisin contamination of field corn in the mid-Atlantic U.S. Plant Disease https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-06-18-1115-RE.
- G. Zhang, T. W. Allen, J. P. Bond, A. M. Fakhoury, A. E. Dorrance, L. Weber, T. R. Faske, L. J. Giesler, D. E. Hershman, B. S. Kennedy, D. L. Neves, C. A. Hollier, H. M. Kelly, M. A. Newman, N. M. Kleczewski, S. R. Koenning, L. D. Thiessen, H. L. Mehl, T. Zhou, M. D. Meyer, D. S. Mueller, Y. R. Kandel, P. P. Price III, J. C. Rupe, E. J. Sikora, J. R. Standish, M. Tomaso-Peterson, K. A. Wise, and C. A. Bradley. 2018. Widespread occurrence of quinone outside inhibitor fungicide-resistant isolates of Cercospora sojina, causal agent of Frogeye leaf spot in soybean, in the United States. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-04-18-0016-RS 8 November.
- Paul, P. A., J. D. Salgado, G. C. Bergstrom, C. Bradley, E Byamukama, A. M. Byrne, V. Chapara, J. A. Cummings, M. I. Chilvers, R. Dill-Macky, A. J. Friskop, N. M. Kleczewski, L. V. Madden, M. Nagelkirk, J. Stevens, M. Smith, S. N. Wegulo, K. A. Wise and D. Yabwalo. 2018. "Integrated Effects of Genetic Resistance and Prothioconazole + Tebuconazole Application Timing on Fusarium Head Blight in Wheat." Plant Disease. doi:10.1094/PDIS-04-18-0565-RE
- Sylvester, P., Dalla Lana, F. Mehl, H., Collins, A, Paul, P, and N. Kleczewski. 2018. Evaluating the Profitability of Foliar Fungicide Programs in Mid-Atlantic Soft-Red Winter Wheat Production Plant Disease 102(8): 1627-1637
- Egel. D., Kleczewski, N., Mumtaz, F., and R. Foster. Acibenzolar-S-methyl is associated with yield reduction when used for managing bacterial wilt (Erwinia trachephila) in cantaloupe. Crop Protection. Accepted 3/2018.
- Kleczewski, N.M. 2018. Prevalence and cropping system impacts on soybean vein necrosis disease in Delaware soybeans. Plant Health Progress. 9 February.
- Wyandandt, C.A., McGrath, M.A., Everts, K.A., Rideout, S.L., Guigino, B.L. and N. Kleczewski. 2018. Fungicide resistance management guidelines for Cucurbit downy and Powdery mildew control in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions of the United States, 2018. Plant Health Progress. 9 February.
- Kleczewski, N. M. and C. Whaley 2018. Assessing the utility of the growth regulator trinexapac-ethyl and fungicides in mid-Atlantic soft red winter wheat production systems. Crop Protection 104: 60-64.
- Sylvester, P. N. and N. M. Kleczewski 2018. Evaluation of foliar fungicide programs in mid-Atlantic winter wheat production systems. Crop Protection 103: 103-110.
- T. W. Allen, C. A. Bradley, A. J. Sisson, E. Byamukama, M. I. Chilvers, C. M. Coker, A. A. Collins, J. P. Damicone, A. E. Dorrance, N. S. Dufault, P. D. Esker, T. R. Faske, L. J. Giesler, A. P. Grybauskas, D. E. Hershman, C. A. Hollier, T. Isakeit, D. J. Jardine, H. M. Kelly, R. C. Kemerait, N. M. Kleczewski, S. R. Koenning, J. E. Kurle, D. K. Malvick, S. G. Markell, H. L. Mehl, D. S. Mueller, J. D. Mueller, R. P. Mulrooney, B. D. Nelson, M. A. Newman, L. Osborne, C. Overstreet, G. B. Padgett, P. M. Phipps, P. P. Price, E. J. Sikora, D. L. Smith, T. N. Spurlock, C. A. Tande, A. U. Tenuta, K. A. Wise, and J. A. Wrather. 2017. Soybean Yield Loss Estimates Due to Diseases in the United States and Ontario, Canada, from 2010 to 2014. Plant Health Progress. 13 April.
- Anderson, N. R., M. D. Irizarry, C. A. Bloomingdale, D. L. Smith, C. A. Bradley, D. P. Delaney, N. M. Kleczewski, E. J. Sikora, D. S. Mueller and K. A. Wise (2017). Effect of soybean vein necrosis on yield and seed quality of soybean. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 39(3): 334-341.
- Jones, J., Kleczewski, N., Deseager, J., Meyer, S., and G. Johnson. 2017. Assessment of nematicides for control of southern root knot nematodes in Lima Beans. Crop Protection 96: 151-157.
- Manamgoda, D.S., A. Minnis, N.M. Kleczewski, S.L. Flory, L.A. Castlebury, and K.D. Hyde. 2013. Bipolaris drechsleri sp. nov. Fungal Planet Description Sheets 213: 26.
- Minnis, A., A.Y. Rossman, N.M. Kleczewski and S.L. Flory. 2012. Bipolaris microstegii sp nov. Fungal Planet Description Sheets 129: 151.
- Bauer, J. T., N. M. Kleczewski, J. D. Bever, K. Clay and H. L. Reynolds. 2012. Nitrogen-fixing bacteria, arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and the productivity and structure of prairie grassland communities. Oecologia 170(4): 1089-1098.
- Kleczewski N. M., J. T. Bauer, J. D. Bever, K. Clay and H. L. Reynolds. 2012. A survey of endophytic fungi of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum) in the Midwest, and their putative roles in plant growth. Fungal Ecology 5(5):521-529.
- Kleczewski N.M., D.A.Herms and P. Bonello. 2012. Nutrient and water availability alter belowground patterns of biomass allocation, carbon partitioning, and ectomycorrhizal abundance in Betula nigra. Trees: Structure and Function 26(2) 525-533.
- Kleczewski N.M., S. L. Flory and K. Clay. 2012. Variation in pathogenicity and host range of Bipolaris sp. causing leaf blight disease on the invasive grass Microstegium vimineum. Weed Science 60(3):486-493.
- Kleczewski N. M. and D. S. Egel, 2011. A diagnostic guide for Fusarium wilt of watermelon. Online. Plant Health Progress. doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-1129-01-DG.
- Flory, S.L., N.M. Kleczewski, and K. Clay. 2011. Ecological consequences of pathogen accumulation on an invasive grass. Ecosphere 2(10):12 pp.
- Kleczewski N.M. and S. L. Flory. 2010. A new leaf blight disease on the invasive grass Microstegium vimineum caused by a Bipolaris sp. Plant Disease 94(7): 807-811.
- Kleczewski N.M., D.A.Herms, and P. Bonello. 2010. Effects of soil type, fertilization and drought on carbon allocation to root growth and partitioning between secondary metabolism and ectomycorrhizae of Betula papyrifera. Tree Physiology 30(7):807-817.
- Kleczewski, N.M. 2017. Evaluation of late season foliar fungicide applications for management of foliar diseases of field corn in Delaware, 2016. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report FC026
- Kleczewski, N.M. 2017. Evaluation of foliar fungicides for management of soybean seed diseases in Delaware, 2016. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report FC027
- Kleczewski, N.M. 2017. Evaluation of foliar fungicides and application timings for management of foliar diseases of wheat in Delaware, 2016. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report CF020
- Kleczewski, N.M. 2017. Evaluation of foliar fungicides and application timings for management of wheat in Maryland, 2016. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report CF021.
- Kleczewski, N.M. 2016 Evaluation of foliar fungicides for management of foliar diseases of field corn in Delaware. 2016. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report FC066
- Ramage, C., and N.M. Kleczewski. 2016. Effect of foliar fungicides and timings on brown spot of soybean in Delaware, 2015. Plant Disease Management Report FC006
- Kleczewski, N.M. 2016. Evaluation of headline and integral in furrow applications on corn in Delaware. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report FC067
- Kness, A. and Kleczewski, N.M., 2016. Residual effect of fungicides for control of downy mildew in Delaware lima bean, 2015. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report V089.
- Kleczewski, N.M., 2015. Effect of Palisade and fungicide timings on powdery mildew and tan spot in Maryland, 2014. Plant Disease Management Reports. 9 Report CF023
- Kleczewski, N.M., 2015. Effect of Prosaro and F. graminearum application timing on Fusarium Head Blight in Delaware, 2014. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report CF011
- Kleczewski, N.M., 2015. Effect of foliar fungicides and timings on powdery mildew and tan spot in Maryland, 2014. Plant Disease Management Reports. Report CF012
- Kleczewski, N.M., 2015. Effect of foliar fungicides and application timings on full season soybean in Delaware, 2014. Plant Disease Management Reports. 9 Report FC030
- Kleczewski, N.M., 2015. Effect of foliar fungicides and application timings on full season soybean in Newcastle County Delaware, 2014. Plant Disease Management Reports. 9 Report FC029
- Kleczewski N.M. and D. Egel. 2012. Evaluation of triploid watermelon lines for resistance to Fusarium wilt, 2011. Plant Disease Management Reports.