Dr. Mideros translates his research on plant pathogens of Illinois field crops into practical management recommendations for producers that increase yield and preserve natural resources.
- M.Sc. Plant Pathology, The Ohio State University, 2006
- Ph.D. Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology, Cornell University, 2011
- Postdoctoral Fellow, International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), 2011 - 2012
- Postdoctoral Associate, Cornell University, 2012 - 2013
- Scientist, BASF Plant Science, 2013 - 2015
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign, 2015 to present
- Study how plant pathogenic organisms cause disease.
- Develop and improve disease control methods.
- Quantify the yield reduction effects of multiple pathogenic organisms.
- Develop high-throughput methods for pathogen detection and quantification.
Selected Articles in Journals
- S. Mideros, M. Nita, A. Dorrance. 2007. Characterization of components of partial resistance, Rps2, and root resistance to Phytophthora sojae in soybean. Phytopathology. 97 (5): 655-622
- L. Zhou, S. Mideros, L. Bao, R. Hanlon, F.D. Arredondo, S. Tripathy, K. Krampis, A. Jerauld, C. Evans, S. St.Martin, M. Saghai-Maroof, I. Hoeschele, A. Dorrance, and B. Tyler. 2009. Infection and genotype remodel the entire soybean transcriptome. BMC Genomics 10: 49
- S. Mideros, G.L. Windham, W.P. Williams, and R.J. Nelson. 2009. Aspergillus flavus biomass in maize estimated by quantitative real-time PCR is strongly correlated with aflatoxin concentration. Plant Dis. 93: 1163-1170
- D. Tucker, S. Maroof, S. Mideros, J. Skoneczka, D. Nabati, G. Buss, I. Hoeschele, B. Tyler, S. St.Martin, A. Dorrance. 2010. Mapping quantitative trait loci for partial resistance to Phytophtora sojae in a soybean interspecific cross. Crop Science. 50 (2) 628-635
- S. Mideros, G.L. Windham, W.P. Williams, and R.J. Nelson. 2012. Tissue-specific components of resistance to Aspergillus ear rot of maize. Phytopathology 102: 787-793.
- S. Mideros, M. Warburton, T. Jamann, G. Windham, W.P. Williams, and R. Nelson. 2014. Quantitative trait loci for resistance to Aspergillus ear rot: analysis by mapping, near-isogenic lines and meta-analysis. Crop Science. 54: 127-142