Dr. Lovell designs landscapes to provide multiple ecological, cultural, and production functions that sustainably address food insecurity, water shortages, and climate change. She focuses much of her research on urban agriculture and productive agroforestry systems that integrate a wide range of functions, including food production.
- B.S.: Agricultural Science, University of Illinois — 1992
- M.S.: Agronomy (emphasis on weed resistance to herbicides), University of Illinois — 1995
- Ph.D.: Agronomy (emphasis on degradation of herbicides in soil), University of Illinois — 2000
- MLA: Landscape Architecture (emphasis on ecological design and analysis of agricultural landscapes), University of Illinois — 2005
- Field Research Biologist, Midwest Field Station, Zeneca Agricultural Products (1995 - 1997)
- Senior Research Biologist, Midwest Field Research & Development, Dow AgroSciences (2000 - 2003)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL (2003 - 2006)
- Assistant Professor, Department of PLant and Soil Science, University of Vermont (2006 - 2009)
- Assistant Professor, Sustainable Landscape Design, Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois (2009 - 2015)
- Associate Professor, Landscape Agroecology, Department of Crop Sciences University of Illinois (2015-present)
- Sustainable Landscapes
- Urban Agriculture
Chapters in Books
- Lovell, S.T., 2012. Buffers. In: Encyclopedia of Sustainability, V5: Ecosystem Management & Sustainability. Editors: Craig, R.K., Nagle, J.C., Pardy, B., Schmitz, O., Smith, W. Berkshire Publishing: Barrington, MA. February 2012.
- Lovell, S.T., 2012. Agroecology. In: Encyclopedia of Sustainability, V5: Ecosystem Management & Sustainability. Editors: Craig, R.K., Nagle, J.C., Pardy, B., Schmitz, O., Smith, W. Berkshire Publishing: Barrington, MA. February 2012.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Wax, L.M., Simpson, D.M., and McGlamery, M. 1996. Using the in vivo ALS assay for identifying herbicide-resistant weeds. Weed Technology 10:936-942.
- Lovell, S.T., Wax, L.M., Horak, M.J., and Peterson, D.E. 1996. Imidazolinone and sulfonylurea resistance in a biotype of common waterhemp (Amaranthus rudis). Weed Science 44:789-794.
- Taylor-Lovell, S., Sims, G.K., Wax, L.M., and Hassett, J.J. 2000. Hydrolysis and soil adsorption of the labile herbicide isoxaflutole. Environmental Science and Technology 34:3186-3190.
- Taylor-Lovell, S., Wax, L.M., and Nelson, R.Â 2001. Phytotoxic response and yield of soybean (Glycine max) varieties treated with sulfentrazone or flumioxazin.Â Weed Technology 15:95-102.
- Sullivan, W.C., Anderson, O.M., and Lovell, S. Taylor, 2004.Â Agricultural buffers at the rural-urban fringe: an examination of approval by farmers, residents, and academics in the Midwestern United States.Â Landscape and Urban Planning 69:299-313.
- Lovell, S. Taylor, 2005.Â University of Illinois Field Research Station - Master Plan.Â University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana.
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Sullivan, W.C. 2006. Environmental benefits of conservation buffers in the United States: Evidence, promise, and open questions. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 112(4):249-260.
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Johnston, D.M. Creating multifunctional landscapes - How can the field of ecology inform the design of the landscape? Frontiers in Ecology and the EnvironmentÂ 7(4):212-220.
- Sims, G.K., Lovell, S. Taylor, Tarr, G. and Maskel, S. 2009.Â Role of sorption and degradation in the herbicidal function of isoxaflutole. Pest Management ScienceÂ
- Lovell, S. Taylor, Johnston, D.M. 2009. Designing landscapes for performance based on emerging principles in landscape ecology. Ecology and Society.Â
- Lovell, S.T., DeSantis, S., Nathan, C.A., Olson, M.B., Mendez, V.E., Kominami, H.C., Erickson, D.L., Morris, K.S., Morris, W.B. 2010. Integrating agroecology and landscape multifunctionality in Vermont: An evolving framework to evaluate the design of agroecosystems. Agricultural Systems 103: 327-341.
- Lovell, S.T., Mendez, V.E., DeSantis, S., Erickson, E., Nathan, C. 2010. Extent, pattern, and multifunctionality of treed habitats on farms in Vermont, USA. Agroforestry Systems 80(2):153-171.
- Lovell, S.T. 2010. Multifunctional urban agriculture for sustainable land use planning. Invited submission for Sustainability 2(8):2499-2522.
- Erickson, D.L., Lovell, S.T., Mendez, V.E. 2011. Landowner willingness to embed production agriculture and other land use options in residential areas of Chittenden County, Vermont, USA. Landscape & Urban Planning 103(2):174-184.
- Kominami, H., Lovell, S.T. 2012. An adaptive management approach to improve water quality at a model dairy farm in Vermont, USA. Ecological Engineering 40:131-143.
- Taylor, J.R., Lovell, S.T. 2012. Mapping public and private spaces of urban agriculture in Chicago through the analysis of high-resolution aerial images in Google Earth. Landscape and Urban Planning. Accepted for publication.
- Neher, D.A., Asmussen, D., Lovell, S.T. 2013. Roads in northern hardwood forests affect adjacent plant communities and soil chemistry in proportion to the maintained roadside area. Science of the Total Environment, 449:320-327.
- Koeser, A., Lovell, S.T., Stewart, R., Evans, M. 2013. Biocontainer water use in short-term greenhouse crop production. HortTechnology: 23:220-226.
- Erickson, D.E., Lovell, S.T., Mendez, V.E. 2013. Identifying, quantifying, and classifying agricultural opportunities for land use planning. Landscape and Urban Planning 118:29-39.
- Morris, K.S., Mendez, V.E., Lovell, S.T., Olson, M. 2013. Conventional food plot management in an organic coffee cooperative: Explaining the paradox. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems 37(7):762-787.
- Wortman, S.E., Lovell, S.T. 2013. Environmental challenges threatening the growth of urban agriculture in the United States. Journal of Environmental Quality 42(5):1283-1294.
- Lovell, S.T., Taylor, J.R. 2013. Supplying urban ecosystem services through multifunctional green infrastructure. Landscape Ecology 28(8):1447-1463.
- Ferguson, R.S., Lovell, S.T. 2014. Understanding permaculture: Design, movement, practice, worldview. Agronomy for Sustainable Development. In press.
- Taylor, J.R., Lovell, S.T. 2014. Urban home food gardens in the Global North: Research traditions and future directions. Agriculture and Human Values. In press.
- Bennett, A.B. and Lovell, S.T. 2014. A comparison of arthropod abundance and arthropod mediated predation services in urban green spaces. Insect Conservation and Diversity. In press.
- Koeser, A., Lovell, S.T. Petri, A.C., Brumfield, R.G., Stewart, J.R. 2014. Biocontainer use in a Petunia x hybrida greenhouse production system a cradle-to-gate carbon footprint assessment of secondary impacts. Accepted for publication in HortScience.
- Morse, C.E., Strong, A., Mendez, V.E., Lovell, S.T., Troy, A., Morris, W.B., 2014. Performing a New England landscape: Viewing, engaging, and belonging. Journal of Rural Studies 36:226-236.
- Taylor, J.R. and Lovell, S.T., 2015. Urban home gardens in the Global North: A mixed methods study of ethnic and migrant home gardens in Chicago, IL. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 30(1):22-32.
- Evans, M.R., Koeser, A., Bi, G., Nambuthiri, S., Geneve, R., Jacobsen, K., Lovell, S.T., Stewart, J.R., 2015. Impact of biocontainers with and without shuttle trays on water use in the production of a containerized ornamental greenhouse crop. HortTechnology 25(1):35-41.
- Sun, Y., Niu, G., Koeser, A.K., Bi, G., Anderson, V., Jacobsen, K., Conneway, R., Verlinden, S., Stewart, R., Lovell, S.T., 2015. Impact of biocontainers on plant performance and container decomposition in the landscape. HortTechnology 25(1):63-70.
- Ferguson., R.S. and Lovell, S.T., 2015. Grassroots engagement with transitions to sustainability: diversity and modes of participation in the international permaculture movement. Ecology and Society 20(4):39.