Primary Research Area
- Crop Management and Environmental Systems
- Ph.D., Agronomy (Applied Ecology), University of Nebraska - Lincoln, 2012
- M.S., Agronomy (Crop Production), University of Nebraska - Lincoln, 2009
- B.A., Biology and Environmental Studies, University of St. Thomas, 2007
- Assistant Professor, Urban Food Production, Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois (2012 - present)
- Space-Intensive Urban and Peri-Urban Agricultural Production
- Plant Ecophysiology
- Ecological Pest Management
- Cover Crops
- Organic and Sustainable Farming
Selected Articles in Journals
- Wortman, S. E. 2015. Air-propelled abrasive grits reduce weed abundance and increase yields in organic vegetable production. Crop Protection 77:157-162.
- Wortman, S. E. 2015. Crop physiological response to nutrient solution electrical conductivity and pH in an ebb-and-flow hydroponic system. Scientia Horticulturae 194:34-42.
- Wortman, S. E., I. Kadoma, and M. D. Crandall. 2015. Assessing the potential for spunbond, nonwoven biodegradable fabric as mulches for tomato and pepper crops. Scientia Horticulturae 193:209-217.
- Wortman, S. E., and J. O. Dawson. 2015. Nitrogenase activity and nodule biomass of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L. Walp.) decrease in cover crop mixtures. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 46:1443-1457.
- Wagstaff, R., and S. E. Wortman. 2015. Crop Physiological Response across the Chicago Metropolitan Region: Developing Recommendations for Urban and Peri-Urban Farmers in the North Central US. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 30:8-14. (Special Issue on Innovations and Trends in Sustainable Urban Agriculture)
- Wortman, S. E., J. J. Schmidt, and J. L. Lindquist. 2014. Weed suppressive potential of sudangrass is driven by interactions of root exudates and decomposing shoot residue. Crop Management 13:DOI 10.2134/CM-2013-0037-RS.
- Wortman, S. E. 2014. Integrating weed and vegetable crop management with multifunctional air-propelled abrasive grits. Weed Technology 28:243-252.
- Wortman, S. E. and S. T. Lovell. 2013. Environmental challenges threatening the growth of urban agriculture in the United States. Journal of Environmental Quality 42:1283-1294.
- Wortman, S. E., R. A. Drijber, C. A. Francis, and J. L. Lindquist. 2013. Arable weeds, cover crops, and tillage drive soil microbial community composition in organic cropping systems. Applied Soil Ecology 72:232-241.
- Wortman, S. E., C. A. Francis, T. D. Galusha, C. Hoagland, J. Van Wart, P. S. Baenziger, T. Hoegemeyer, and M. Johnson. 2013. Evaluating Cultivars for Organic Farming: Maize, Soybean, and Wheat Genotype by System Interactions in Eastern Nebraska. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems 37:915-932.
- Schutte, B. J., S. E. Wortman, J. L. Lindquist and A. S. Davis. 2013. Maternal Environment Effects on Phenolic Defenses in Abutilon theophrasti Seeds. American Journal of Plant Sciences 4:1127-1133.
- Wortman, S. E., C. A. Francis, M. A. Bernards, E. E. Blankenship, and J. L. Lindquist. 2013. Mechanical termination of diverse cover crop mixtures for improved weed suppression in organic cropping systems. Weed Science 61:162-170.
- Wortman, S. E., A. S. Davis, B. J. Schutte, J. L. Lindquist, J. Cardina, J. Felix, C. L. Sprague, J. A. Dille, A.H.M. Ramirez, G. Reicks, and S. A. Clay. 2012. Local conditions, not regional gradients, drive demographic variation of Ambrosia trifida and Helianthus annuus across northern US maize belt. Weed Science 60:440-450.
- Wortman, S. E., C. A. Francis, M. Bernards, R. Drijber, and J. L. Lindquist. 2012. Optimizing cover crop benefits with diverse mixtures and an alternative termination method. Agronomy Journal 104:1425-1435.
- Wortman, S. E., C. A. Francis, and J. L. Lindquist. 2012. Cover Crop Mixtures for the Western Corn Belt: Opportunities for Increased Productivity and Stability. Agronomy Journal 104:699-705.
- Wortman, S. E., T. Galusha, S. C. Mason, and C. A. Francis. 2012. Soil Fertility and Crop Yields in Long-Term Organic and Conventional Cropping Systems in Eastern Nebraska. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 27:200-216.
- Wortman, S. E., A. S. Davis, B. Schutte., and J. L. Lindquist. 2011. Integrating Management of Soil Nitrogen and Weeds. Weed Science 59:162-170.
- Lindquist, J. L., S. E. Wortman, and C. A. Francis. 2011. Adding Value to Graduate Education: the Comprehensive Examination. NACTA Journal 55:106-107.
- Wortman, S. E., J. L. Lindquist, M. Haar, and C. A. Francis. 2010. Increased Weed Diversity, Density and Aboveground Biomass in Long-Term Organic Crop Rotations. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 25:281-295.