Dr. Villamil identifies management strategies to improve soil health and productivity in agroecosystems by addressing the societal challenge of sustainable food production. She focuses on how changes in soil health brought about by agronomic practices relate to carbon and nutrient cycling, crop production, and mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions.
- B.S.: Agronomy, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Argentina — 1995
- M.S.: Agronomy, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Argentina — 2000
- M.S.: Agricultural Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign — 2007
- Ph.D.: Crop Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign — 2005
- Assistant Professor Agronomy & Soil Health. University of Illinois. Department of Crop Sciences. 09/09/09 to 08/15/2016.
- Associate Professor Agronomy & Soil Health. 08/15/2016 - current
- Sustainable Cropping Systems - Agroecology
- Soil Quality and Genomics
- Biometry - Statistics
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements
- Fulbright Fellow
Honors, Recognition, and Outstanding Achievements for Teaching
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Spring 2012-2016. CPSC 569.
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Spring 2017. CPSC 418.
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Fall 2017. CPSC 414.
- List of teachers ranked as Excellent by their students, Summer 2018. CPSC 569.
Chapters in Books
- Yeater K, and MB Villamil. 2017. Multivariate Methods for Agricultural Research. Chapter 18. Applied Statistics in Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Sciences. ASA, CSSA and SSSA Publisher. Madison, WI.
- Miguez FE, MB Villamil, and D Makowski. Meta-analyses: Towards Evidence Based Research in Agronomy and Soil Sciences. Chapter 20. Soil Organic Methods. ASA, CSSA and SSSA Publisher. Madison, WI. Accepted under review.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Villamil MB, GA Bollero, RG Darmody, FW Simmons, and DG Bullock. 2006. No-Till Corn/Soybean Systems Including Winter Cover Crops: Effects on Soil Properties. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 70: 1936-1944.
- Villamil MB, A Heinze-Silvis, and GA Bollero. 2008. Potential Miscanthus’ Adoption in Illinois: Information Needs and Preferred Information Channels. Biomass Bioenerg. 32:1338-1348.
- Miguez FE, MB Villamil, GA Bollero, and SP Long. 2008. Meta-Analysis of Management Factors Effects on Miscanthus × giganteus Growth and Productivity. Agr. Forest Meteorol. 148: 1280-1292.
- Villamil MB, FE Miguez, and GA Bollero. 2008. Multivariate Analysis and Visualization of Soil Quality Data for No-Till Systems. J. Environ. Qual. 37:1-7.
- Villamil MB, NM Amiotti, and N Peinemann. 2011. Segregation of patches by patterns of soil attributes in native grassland in central Argentina. Phyton 80. 193-201.
- Lee CH, Kim SY, MB Villamil, P Pramanik, CO Hongand, and PJ Kim. 2011. Different response of silicate fertilizer having electron acceptors on methane emission in rice paddy soil under green manuring. Biol. Fert. Soils. (26 November 2011), pp. 1-8.
- Amiotti NM, MB Villamil, and RG Darmody. 2012. Agronomic and taxonomic consequences of agricultural use of marginal soils in Argentina. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 76: 2, 558-568.
- Villamil MB, V Davis, and ED Nafziger. 2012. Estimating factor contributions to soybean yield from farm field data. Agron. J. 104:881-887.
- Villamil MB, M Alexander, A Heinze-Silvis, and M Gray. 2012. Producer perceptions and information needs regarding their adoption of bioenergy crops. Renew. Sust. Energ. Rev.16: 3604-3612.
- Marzano SL, D Eastburn, M Wander, C Ugarte, E Zaborski, and MB Villamil. 2014. Transitional cropping systems and organic amendment effects on crop diseases. Agron. J. 106:519-527.
- Acuña JCM, and MB Villamil. 2014. Short term effects of cover crops and compaction on soil properties and soybean production in Illinois. Agron. J. 106:860-870.
- Suarez Tapia A, MB Villamil, and L Grabau. 2014. Evaluation of N sources, cover crops, and tillage systems for corn grown under organic management. Phyton 83:71-81.
- Kladivko EJ, MJ Helmers, LJ Abendroth, D Herzmann, R Lal, MJ Castellano, DS Mueller, JE Sawyer, RP Anex, RW Arritt, B Basso, JV Bonta, LC Bowling, RM Cruse, NR Fausey, JR Frankenberger, PW Gassman, AJ Gassmann, CL Kling, A Kravchenko, JG Lauer, FE Miguez, ED Nafziger, N Nkongolo, M O'Neal, LB Owens, PR Owens, P Scharf, MJ Shipitalo, JS Strock, and MB Villamil. 2014. Standardized research protocols enable transdisciplinary research of climate variation impacts in corn production systems. J Soil Water Conserv 69:532-542.
- Necpálová M, RP Anex, AN Kravchenko, LJ Abendroth, SJ Del Grosso, WA Dick, MJ Helmers, D Herzmann, JG Lauer, ED Nafziger, JE Sawyer, PC Scharf, JS Strock, and MB Villamil. 2014. What does it take to detect a change in soil carbon stock? A regional comparison of minimum detectable difference and experiment duration in the north central United States. J Soil Water Conserv 69:517-531.
- Marzano SL, D Eastburn, M Wander, C Ugarte, and MB Villamil. 2015. Organic transition effects on soilborne diseases of soybean and populations of Pseudomonadaceae. Agron. J. 107: 1087-1097.
- Davis VM, NE Mellendorf, MB Villamil, ED Nafziger. 2015. Initial plant size affects response to thinning in soybean. Agron. J. 107:158-166.
- Zuber SM, GD Behnke, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2015. Crop rotation and tillage effects on soil physical and chemical properties in Illinois. Agron. J. 107: 1-8.
- Fernandez F, B Sorensen and MB Villamil. 2015. A comparison of soil properties in long-term no-till and strip-till systems. Agron. J. 107: 1339-1346.
- Villamil MB, and ED Nafziger. 2015. Corn residue, tillage, and nitrogen rate effects on soil carbon and nutrient stocks in Illinois. Geoderma 253-254, 61-66.
- Villamil MB, J Little, ED Nafziger. 2015. Corn residue, tillage, and nitrogen rate effects on soil properties. Soil Till. Res. 151: 61-66.
- Nafziger ED, MB Villamil, F. Iutzi, J Niekamp, and V. Davis. 2016. Bioenergy yields of several cropping systems in the U.S. Corn Belt. Agron. J. 108: 559-565.
- Welch RY, GB Behnke, AS Davis, J Masiunas and MB Villamil. 2016. Using cover crops in headlands of organic grain farms: Effects on soil properties, weeds and crop yields. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 216:322-332.
- Zuber SM, and MB Villamil. 2016. Meta-analysis approach to assess effect of tillage on microbial biomass and enzyme activities. Soil Biol. Biochem. 97: 176-187.
- Bishop J, S Kim, MB Villamil, DK Lee, and L Rayburn. 2017. Meiotic pairing as an indicator of genome composition in polyploid prairie cordgrass (Spartina pectinata Link). Genetica (GENE) 145, 235-240.
- Dozier IA, G Behnke, A Davis, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2017. Tillage and cover cropping effects on soil properties in Illinois. Agron. J. 109:1-10.
- Zuber S, G Behnke, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2017. Multivariate assessment of soil quality indicators for crop rotation and tillage in Illinois. Soil Till. Res. 174:147-155.
- Daigh A, W Dick, M Helmers, R Lal, J Lauer, E Nafziger, C Pederson, J Strock, MB Villamil, A Mukherjee, and R. Cruse. 2017. Yields and yield stability of no-till and chisel-plow fields in the Midwestern US Corn Belt. Field Crops Res. 218, 243-253.
- Schmidt E, NM Amiotti, and MB Villamil. 2018. Soil quality under conservation practices on farm operations of the southern semiarid pampas region of Argentina. Soil Till. Res.176:85-94.
- Chu M, J Guzmán, and MB Villamil. 2018. Impacts of climate variability on SOC and N cycling under corn-based rotations in IL. J. Environ. Qual. 47:596-606.
- Behnke GD, SM Zuber, CM Pittelkow, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2018. Long term crop rotation and tillage effects on greenhouse gas emissions, soil properties, and crop production in Illinois. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 261:62-70.
- Hoss M, GD Behnke, AS Davis, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2018. Short corn rotations do not improve soil quality, compared to corn monocultures. Agron. J. In Press.
- Zuber S, GD Behnke, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2018. Carbon and nitrogen content of soil organic matter and microbial biomass under long-term crop rotation and tillage in Illinois, USA. Agriculture. 8, 37.
- Behnke GD, CM Pittelkow, ED Nafziger, and MB Villamil. 2018. Exploring the relationships among greenhouse gas emissions, crop yields, and soil properties in cropping systems. Agriculture, 8, 62.
- Shelby RJ, MB Villamil, KA Ames, and CA Bradley. 2018. Effects of pyraclostrobin foliar fungicide, corn hybrid, and harvest timing on stalk health of corn. Crop, Forage, Turfgrass. In Press.
- Graham R, KD Greer, MB Villamil, ED Nafziger, and CM Pittelkow. 2018. Enhanced efficiency fertilizer impacts on yield-scaled nitrous oxide emissions in maize. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. In Press.
- Yuan M, KD Greer, ED Nafziger, MB Villamil, CM. Pittelkow. 2018. Soil N2O emissions as affected by long-term residue removal and no-till practices in continuous corn. GCB Bioenergy. In Press.
- Abendroth L. et al. 2017. Sustainable Corn CAP Research Data (USDA-NIFA Award No. 2011-68002-30190). National Agricultural Library - ARS - USDA. Published Data set.